Sunday, March 29, 2009

Weather to Start the Week/Have Things Changed?/SMG Success

HURRICANES AND WEATHER
Some rain/thunderstorms return to the plains and lower Mississippi Valley on Monday. There will also be some rain/snow in northern New England and in the northern Rockies. Most of the northern tier of states will have highs in the 30s. The southern tier will be in the 70s and 80s.

Houston will turn cloudy during the afternoon on Monday. Highs will be in the 70s. There will be some showers and thunderstorms on Tuesday as a weak cold front moves through the area.

SPANISH WORD OF THE DAY
Let's do weather or tiempo, pronounced tee-EHM-poh. The tiempo in Houston today was just gorgeous. Note, tiempo is also the word for time.

Well don't let the time tick away on your youngster's childhood. This is the optimal time for language learning--especially before the age of 8--the age at which 80% of the neurological pathways have formed.. Order our award winning DVD, Let' Learn Spanish with Frank & Paco, today from www.frankandpaco.com/. You can also order from http://www.venturaes.com/, http://www.dololanguages.com/, http://www.carlexonline.com,www.thecuriousmindstore.com/, http://www.amazon.com/, http://www.bestbuy.com/, and http://www.barnesandnoble.com/. For our English as a Second Language (ESL) version, got to http://www.frankypaco.com/.

AND MORE
I don't get a chance to watch much TV...I prefer reading (and I don't have much time for that). But this morning, as Sarah checked out her favorite Internet sites, Megan studied at her mom's and Gordy rested a sore back, I had the decadent pleasure of reading for several hours. Did I mention we went to mass yesterday evening? Well, I am reading this fascinating book about 2 Chinese sisters. One decides to become a medical doctor and earns a scholarship to come to the US (in the 1930s). This is based on a true story. Her husband, another doctor, is hired by Eli Lilly himself to develop various medicines using materials from other countries. The husband developed ephedrine. Anyway, it is fascinating to read about what these women endured to get their careers. Then tonight, I did watch The #1 Ladies Detective Agency on HBO. It is a series based on the popular book series of the same title. I had read one of those books and just loved it. The setting is Botswana Africa but the stories are relatable to all of us.

When I went to college, Texas A & M rolled out the red carpet for me. I think they wanted more young ladies in their meteorology program. But I was a bit put off when the advisor snickered about me getting a husband and what nought. My mother was with me. She was my biggest fan and advocate. Do you remember that little conversation Mom? But back then, we just laughed and tried to move on to what we were trying to accomplish--not taking taking exception to what had been said.

When I first started in the work force, I took a job as a secretary at a CPA firm. They were using typewriters. I became the one who selected a word processor to use--I picked Wordperfect at the time. We loved our word processors! When I moved back to Houston, I took a job at a turn key computer/software company. The boss frequently mused aloud about married female employees---they probably want to have a baby--saying it in a very disgusted and disdainful way. You didn't dare talk about babies or even the thought of having babies. That was a big no-no. The bosses didn't want to hear about it!

Anyway, I wonder if things have changed much. Any thoughts you wish to share?

P.S. Congratulations to Frank Brody, Doris Rotzoll Hood and the fine folks at the NASA Space Flight Meteorology Group for forecasting the tricky weather Saturday and helping make the shuttle landing a success!

Have a great week everyone!
Cecilia Sinclair
Wonder Weather Woman

No comments: