Thursday, June 3, 2010

Heavy Rain Threat/Blowout Blessing/Psychic in the Neighborhood

WEATHER (INCLUDING TROPICAL CYCLONES)
Atlantic and tropical basins are quiet.

There is an excessive heat advisory for eastern California and southern Nevada (including Las Vegas). The advisory is in effect Saturday afternoon into Monday with temperatures expected to soar to 106 and beyond.

Jet stream is dipping slightly over the northeastern part of the US and that will trigger some severe storms from the Midwest eastward. Very hot across the southern plains and southwest with 90s into the 100s. Pleasant along the west coast and northern states with highs in the 50s to 70s. Steamy in the southeast with highs in the 80s and 90s.

Houston is getting drenched...one check of the radar this evening and you can see the upper low spinning overhead. It's a slow mover so look for more bands and heavy rain but because heavy rain has been spread out fairly evenly...the National Weather Service is not issuing any flood watches (yet). The system is slow moving with more heavy rain possible on Friday. Should see improvement by Sunday. Will update if needed.

SPANISH WORD OF THE DAY

Let's do psychic or parasicológico, pronounced pah-rah-see-coh-LOW-gee-coh. Find out about a famous para(p)sicológico living in Sugar Land in the AND MORE section.

That reminds me...I predict that you will be proactive and right away, order my award winning DVDs, Let's Learn Spanish with Frank & Paco. They are on the shelf (in the education section) at Barnes & Noble stores or you can order them from http://www.frankandpaco.com, http://www.amazon.com, http://www.bn.com, http://www.bestbuy.com, or http://www.ebay.com/. Our ESL (English as a Second Language) version can be found at http://www.frankypaco.com.

AND MORE
My poll on the impact of reductions in special needs education is closed. More than one answer was allowed. Thanks to all who participated.

100% said they believe it will make special needs individuals more dependend on their aging caregivers.
66% said there will be more stress in the classrooms with special needs kids
33% said it will result in a more dependent special needs population, will cause a loss of talent in special needs education, and it will cause net increase in the economic impact of the special needs population. No one said it would cause no changes, result in a net increase in state support of special needs education, or will cause a nedt decrease in the economic impact of the special needs population.

Okay...that was so serious. Now for something more lighthearted--my new poll...which of these celebrities/shows do you think is going to burn out most quickly. Only one asnwer is allowed. Thanks in advance for participating.

I had a blowout yesterday...well maybe not exactly a blowout. I heard a little phish sound and felt a little something and thought I had better exit and check it out. I could not believe how bad my tire looked and how I almost couldn't tell anything was wrong. It looked like someone had slashed it from wheel to edge with a knife. Somehow it was still holding together...that was a Michelin tire by the way. Anyway, I called my hubby and I told him I would put the spare on myself. He said he was on his way. So I thought I would just have the spare on by the time he arrived. Nothing doing...I couldn't budge the lock/lugnut. Well, he couldn't either...we just couldn't get enough torque with the equipment that came in the car. Now, I will admit, we had put on special wheels...so the lugnuts were deeply recessed. Anyway, we went over to a Sears Automotive and they took pity on us and loaned us a cross lugnut undoer (can't remember the real name). Well Gordy was able to pop that puppy right off. And before long we were on our way. Of course, we were both sweatballs...with the humidity and temperature super high.

But, I thought afterward that I was so fortunate--I didn't lose control of my car. And my tire held together until I could safely stop. It happened on a day when Gordy could get away from work to help me. We were able to get someone to take care of Sarah right away (thanks Cindy!). It was a hassle but it could have been so much worse. Plus, I now know what I need to buy for our cars...one of those cross thingeys. It was a blowout blessing.

My buddy and reporter, Leslie Williams, has done it again. She has a fascinating article in the Houston Chronicle about a famous psychic who lives right here in Sugar Land. This lady is famous enough that I had read about her before. Check it out!
http://www.ultimatefortbend.com/2010/06/sugar-land-psychic-has-famous-client-list

Well, I have a premonition that it will be the weekend soon! Have a great one!
Cecilia Sinclair
Wonder Weather Woman

No comments: