Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wet Start to Week/The Tsunami that Reached Texas/Which Rodeo Show

PLEASE NOTE THAT I POSTED THIS BLOG ON 2/28 BUT DELETED IT DUE TO A DANGEROUS COMMENT. THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING.
WEATHER
Weather is fairly quiet but a new storm coming out of the southwest will bring rain to Texas later today. Snow for the Great Lakes and northeast with a cold rain mixing with snow in New York City. Highs will be in the 30s for the Great Lakes and Northeast and much of the Midwest. Very nice along the west coast with sunshine and highs in the 60s. Texas will be turning colder with thunderstorms developing and moving eastward. Balmy in the southeast with highs in the 60s and 70s.

Houston will have a wet day...rain and storms during the morning commute and temperatures dropping during the day. Make sure you have a jacket with you. Chilly mornings and cool to mild afternoons and but dry in the early to middle part of the week with next rain coming on Sunday. Gradual warmup during the week...should be very pleasant.

SPANISH WORD OF THE DAY
Let's do tickets or billetes, pronounced bee-YEH-tays. Guess which billetes I purchased for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo? Find out in the AND MORE section.

Be sure to tell your friends and family that they can stop at their neighborhood Barnes & Noble store and buy our award winning Spanish DVDs for children...volumes one and two of Let's Learn Spanish with Frank & Paco. We have won 3 awards including Dr. Toy's Top 10 Educational Product of 2008. You can also order them from http://www.frankandpaco.com, http://www.amazon.com, http://www.bn.com, http://www.bestbuy.com, or http://www.ebay.com/. Our ESL (English as a Second Language) version can be found at http://www.frankypaco.com

AND MORE
The photos at right were sent to me by my brother Sam in north Austin and my cousin June in Hutto, TX. They and their kids sure enjoyed our late February snow storm. Sam said that his snowman held together for a day...when he came home Wednesday afternoon...the snowman had lost its head though.

Big brew-ha-ha over Accuweather using the term snow-a-cane for the storm system that brought the snow this last week. Media folks sure do walk a fine line between trying to keep their bosses happy who demand presenting the weather in as enticing and compelling of a way as possible. But, you do have to be very, very careful. There is a glossary of Meteorology. When I studied for my Certified Broadcast Meteorologist exam, I had to study that glossary and as a broadcast meteorologist, you are supposed to use the correct terms. I never would say for example a cool front...no such thing. It's either a cold front, a warm front, a stationary front or an occluded front (the last one...I would never use on air...too hard to explain). But I have heard people say cool front in order to denote that it just isn't all that cold. I prefer to qualify the level of coolness using adjectives. Anyway, is the concern about Accuweather's terminology just something meteorologists care about or do you care about it. I would love to hear your opinion.

Just went through such an ordeal getting a new photo printer that works. I ordered on-line through Walmart and after switching out two times, could not get the printer to talk to my computer. I have connected several printers over the past couple years with no trouble at all. And it takes forever to uninstall and install the printer software. I would not have purchased through Walmart but the printer was only $32. Well, the good news is that it so easy to take the printer to Walmart and exchange it. I ended up with a Kodak printer yesterday which is talking but now the print quality on my regular paper is very bad. I've ordered some Kodak paper and hope that will work...the photos are perfect though.

Please keep my ill aunt in your prayers. She has had an allergic reaction to some medicine that used during the surgery and now she has clots in her lungs and body. This is quite an ordeal for her family and her.

I wrote about earthquakes after the Haiti disaster...that one was a 7.0...this one in Chile many times stronger at 8.8. God bless all who have been affected. Glad to hear tsunami not so bad. The Indonesian tsuanmi in 2004 impacted water levels around the world...increasing the water level along the Gulf coast by a foot about a day or so later.

Just ordered tickets to Selena Gomez off Ebay. Both Megan and Sarah want to see her. But, I had to go to Ebay because I waited to long to check it out. Just wasn't sure well in advance what we were doing at the tail end of spring break. Well, I can tell you that my tickets are going to require binoculars but goodness, there were sets of tickets well over $1000. Yikes!!! Well, will let you know if it was worth seeing her from that distance. Looking forward to the rodeo. Always a good time.

Have a great week everyone!
Cecilia Sinclair
Wonder Weather Woman

No comments: