Sunday, December 6, 2009

Weather for the Week/Christmas Shows for Kids

WEATHER
For much of the country, Monday is going to be the coldest day so far this fall season with highs in the negative single digits in parts of Montana and single digits and teens in the northern plains. Warm spot will be southern Florida with highs in the 80s. Elsewhere, the southern tier of states will have highs in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Rest of the country will have highs in the 20s to 40s. Brrr! Look for rain/snow from the west coast to the Rockies and also snow in the Great Lakes. There will be rain along the northern Gulf coast.

On Monday, Houston will be cool with showers mainly early and highs in the 50s. Then, look for another round of rain early Tuesday with highs in the low 70s. It will be drier mid-week with some showers end of the week and then a dry weekend on the way. Lows will be in the 40s and 50s with highs primarily in the 60s through the coming weekend.

SPANISH WORD OF THE DAY
Let's do favorite or favorita, pronounced fah-vor-EE-tah. Trying to locate your favorita Christmas shows for your kids. I've got a master list for you in the AND MORE section.

Here's a gift idea that will be much appreciated and won't break the bank...I'm running on holiday special on the DVDs Let's Learn Spanish with Frank & Paco. Just send me an email to info@frankandpaco.com and enjoy the pre-Christmas special (through Dec. 22nd) to get our award winning volume 1 DVD or newly released volume 2 DVD of the Frank & Paco series for $10 (even--that includes the tax in Texas--outside of Texas it will be even lower than $10) and free shipping. I will send it to you and you can mail me a check or money order.

Or you can order via the following web sites for a higher amount: http://www.frankandpaco.com
, http://www.amazon.com, http://www.bn.com, http://www.bestbuy.com, or http://www.ebay.com/.

AND MORE

Well, my 3 hibiscus bushes were so beautiful right before the snow and freeze. Now, they are gone until they bounce back this summer. Wah!!!! I'm wondering what this will do to my broccoli plants, sugar snap peas, and baby spinach. Only time will tell. But the snow was worth it. And, it didn't hang around and become a nuisance. I'll never forget that snow storm in December 1989. I had to fly to Austin that day. I knew we were probably going to have an ice storm. So, I headed to the airport extra, extra early. As I'm getting close to the airport, it starts raining. I knew it was about 27 degrees. I thought uh oh. I could see the car ahead of me start to fishtail almost immediately (the rain had turned to ice upon impact). I managed to limp off the freeway and ease my way along the feeder and back roads until I arrived. Then, they had to de-ice the plane. I returned later the same day to see all the snow. It was really neat.

My friend Tanya went to the trouble to search for all the titles and phrases associated with kids programming that she could think of. She said that she set her DVR to record them all. She suggested I share this list with you on my blog. Tanya...we parents thank you.

Traditional/Santa Themes:

Year Without A Santa (08 Dec 09)
The Year Without Santa (11 Dec 09)
Santa Clause Town (09 Dec 09)
Santa Clause is Coming to Town (10 Dec 09)
Twas the Night Before Christmas (08 Dec 09)
A Miser Brother Christmas (19 Dec 09)
Twice Upon A Christmas (19 Dec 09)
The Town Santa Forgot (20 Dec 09)
The Night before Christmas
The Little Drummer Boy (13 Dec 09)
Greatest Holiday Moments

Rudolph Themes:

Rudolph and the Misfit Toys (09 Dec 09)
Rudolph's Shiny New Year (10 Dec 09)
Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July (13 Dec 09)

Frosty Themes:

Frosty (12 Dec 09)
Frosty Returns (12 Dec 09)
Jack Frost (10 Dec 09)
The Legend of Frosty the Snowman (21 Dec 09)
Frosty's Winter Wonderland (13 Dec 09)


Specialty Themes:

The Polar Express
Pixar Short Films (18 Dec 09)
Scooby Doo Christmas (10 Dec 09)
A Garfield Christmas (09 Dec 09)
Winnie the Pooh and Christmas Too (10 Dec 09)
Pinocchio's Christmas (13 Dec 09)
A Jetson Christmas Carol (13 Dec 09)
Mickey's Christmas Carol (16 Dec 09)
Flintstone Christmas (07 Dec 09)
Alvin and the Chipmunks – A Chipmunk Christmas
Shrek the Halls

I know it is hard this time of year to stop and remember the magic of the holidays...but please try. Watch a fun show with your kids...become a kid again. And don't forget about those special religious rituals. We are enjoying lighting our Advent wreath. Your kids won't remember most of the gifts they got, but they will remember these special times you shared with them. My Mom told me she has a friend who gives each kid only three gifts at Christmas. She tells them, Jesus got three gifts when the Three Kings visited. So, that is what you are getting. Something to consider.

Have a great week!
Cecilia Sinclair
Wonder Weather Woman

No comments: