Wednesday, January 14, 2009

More Freezing Temperatures/Franchise Tax Frustration

HURRICANES AND WEATHER
Northern Minnesota and Northern Maine are going to be the two coldest areas in the nation on Thursday with highs of about 10 below zero. There won't be a lot of snow around the country. Look for some snow showers around the Great Lakes and in the northeast. Memphis (western Tennessee) could also get a snow shower. A few showers are possible over the northern plains.

Houston is getting a second shot of chilly air. Highs on Thursday will only be in the low 50s. There will be another freeze Thursday night...so don't forget to protect the pets and plants. Earlier today, Sugar Land bottomed out at 26 and Conroe and Tomball got down to 25. The highs on Friday will be close to 50. The trend through the weekend will be a slight warming.

SPANISH WORD OF THE DAY
I think with all this talk of cold weather, it is only appropriate that we do shiver or tiritar, pronounced tee-ree-TAR. Tiritar is normal when the temperatures drop so low!

Worrying about your children's future? Well the statistics show that people who learn more than one language end up earning more money. So give your youngsters that advantage...order our award winning DVD from our web site www.frankandpaco.com/. You can also order from http://www.venturaes.com/, www.dololanguages.com, www.carlexonline.com,www.thecuriousmindstore.com, www.amazon.com, www.bestbuy.com, and http://www.barnesandnoble.com/. If you are more interested in a full immersion type product, go to http://www.frankypaco.com/.

AND MORE
Here's something that drives me crazy. I filled out my state franchise tax electronically last August. Never mind that my company is not even remotely close to earning $300,000. I still have to fill out the report and do the calculations. Well, anyway, I get this notice in the mail that I did not file and that they are estimating my tax due to be $1000 and they are fining me $100 for not filing. So, of course I called the comptroller's office. The man who helped me was super nice. There was no record of my filing and even though I had a printout of the calculation form, I had no confirmation number. So, now I get to do it all again. The man at the comptroller's office said I should print out the form and take it directly to one of their offices. Ooooohhh...that gives me confidence. Well anyway, just another fun thing that takes away from doing business.

Here's some good news. We made it to the recently reopened First Colony Library. It is all cleaned up with new carpet and some new display cases for their videos. It was good to be back there. It wasn't very busy. I think a lot of people still don't know it has reopened. As you may recall, the library developed a leak due to roof damage from Hurricane Ike. Heavy rains caused a major leak that made a big mess.

ICarly and Sam (our fish still alive now Day 4) swam by to say hi.

Happy Thursday and stay warm!
Cecilia Sinclair
Wonder Weather Woman

No comments: