Saturday, September 27, 2008

Hurricane Kyle and Happy Birthday in Spanish

Ooohh nice outside. And, there will be no big changes through the end of the coming week...lows will be in the 50s and 60s. Highs will be in the middle to upper 80s.

Kyle is now a will make landfall late Sunday near extreme eastern Maine. Not much more strengthening is likely as it raises northward.

Disturbed area that was in the southern Gulf Friday is now over the Yucatan. There are also 2 disturbed areas in the Atlantic...which are of no immediate consequence to any land area.

Since today is Sarah's 7th birthday, I thought it would be nice to learn how to say Happy Birthday in Spanish -- Feliz CumpleaƱos - pronounced fay-leez coom-plee-ah-nyos. Feliz CumpleaƱos to our dear Sarah. And thanks to big sister Megan for helping to her birthday so nice! You are the best Megan!!!

Another advantage of learning more than one language is improved grammar. Check out this research:

This study aimed to validate the effects of second language learning on children's linguistic awareness...The results showed an advantage for the children who attended bilingual classes since kindergarten: they were better at grammatical judgment and correction tasks and word recognition.

This came from Demont, E. (2001) Contribution of early 2nd-language learning to the development of linguistic awareness and learning to read...International Journal of Psychology, 36(4), 274-285. from PsycINFO datebase.

Heres's a way to expose children to more than one language. Purchase our award winning children's DVD, Let's Learn Spanish with Frank & Paco Volume 1. It has been recognized as a Top 10 Educational Product for 2008 by Dr. Toy!!! You can order through, Ventura's Educational Supply, Dolo Publications, Carlex Inc., The Curious Mind Store,,, and THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT EVERYONE!

We are now beginning the 3rd week with no power. Centerpoint reports that 85% of power has been restored (to 1.91 million)...leaving 15% still without refrigerated/frozen groceries, no in-house laundry service, no lights, no a/c and possibly no fans, possibly no phone service, no ability to easily charge cell phones, no ability to easily access the internet, no ability to use any appliance that accesses electricity, sometimes no school to attend, sometimes no work place to go to. Imagine that for more than 2 fun at all. We haven't forgotten those of you who are doing without so much.

Coming soon...our own Disney's official. Sarah has more Hannah Montana stuff than any girl in the world. Just ask her Dad.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Cecilia Sinclair
Wonder Weather Woman

No comments: